Week 2 Agenda
After today's class (and online readings) you should:
- Understand what a view is
- Learn what the Three-Level Architecture is: External, Conceptual, and Internal
- Know the difference between the Relational, Network, and Hierarchical Data Model
- Understand the history of how the DBMS evolved.
- Three Level Architecture (External,
Conceptual and Internal)
- Logical Data Independence
- Physical Data Independence
- Data Definition Language (DDL)
- Data Manipulation Language (DML)
- Data Model
- Relational Data Model
- Network Data Model
- Hierarchical Data Model
- File-Server Architecture
- Traditional two-tier client-server architecture
- Three-Tier Client-Server Architecture
Lecture Notes: Lecture notes are posted on D2L. Vidoes are posted on the webpage. Please read the corresponding chapters in the textbook (see course outline).
Assignments: All assignments are posted on the dynamic course outline page each week.